FCPS Music Educators Dominate District 7 Awards
Fayette County Public Schools swept the main awards at this fall’s District 7 gathering of the Kentucky Music Educators Association (KMEA).
- Elementary Teacher of the Year: Sabrina Bowmer of Cassidy
- Middle School Teacher of the Year: April Kite of Edythe J. Hayes
- High School Teacher of the Year: Ryan Marsh of Lafayette
- Administrator of the Year: Lester Diaz, principal of Frederick Douglass High School
- Friend of Music: Fayette County Board of Education
In addition, KMEA has invited five of our ensembles to perform in February at its statewide professional learning conference in Louisville:
- Beaumont Middle School’s Symphonic Band, under the direction of Amanda Herceg and Willow Cooper
- Douglass’ Chamber Orchestra, directed by Sarah Milazzo-Payne
- Lafayette’s Chamber Orchestra, under Phil Kent and Aaron Breeck
- Lafayette’s Madrigal Singers, led by Ryan Marsh, and
- Lafayette’s Wind Symphony, directed by Dee Bishop and Chris Strange
KMEA's District 7 covers schools in Bourbon, Clark, Fayette, Franklin, Jessamine, Harrison, Scott, and Woodford counties. For more information, email Aaron Cunningham of Tates Creek High School, the District 7 president for 2023-24.